See More Blogs | Login or Register to Start Your Own Blog
Main BikingToronto Page

Toronto: Dufferin and Bloor to the Core

The Bicycle Route Mapping Wiki Project

(Click on the map to go to the original Sport Distance Calculator map.)

Tags: bicycle, bike, biking, Bloor, commute, core, Dufferin, efficient, mapping, map, route, safe, Toronto, wiki,

Cyclists who want to make their own map:

* Go to Sport Distance Calculator, make a map of your favourite route… (save is above the map)
* Then post the URL of the map in Twitter (there’s a button for that), and add #BikeRouteWiki to the end of your Tweet

I will monitor the Twitter list – when a new map comes in I will take a picture of it to use as thumbnail and publish it HERE and in FilterBlogs – with a link back to the original Sport Distance Calculator user generated map. The original map is secured with a pass word and only the creator can make changes to it.

(If you do change your map – please re-post in the Twitter list – so I’ll be aware of it – changes may effect the search label it gets.)

All Bicycle Route Mapping Wiki Project maps are posted in Twitter at List: ‘#BikeRouteWiki‘.

mh

Posted: March 11th, 2010
Author:
Filed under: Uncategorized
Tags: | 9 Comments »

9 Comments on “Toronto: Dufferin and Bloor to the Core”

1. 1 Michael Holloway's Blog » Blog Archive » Paul said, I need a non-arterial cycling route from Dufferin and Bloor into the Core said at 2:29 pm on March 11th, 2010:

[...] Map 1(with only one wrong way one way) [...]

2. 2 michael holloway said at 5:53 pm on March 11th, 2010:

I’m not sure what the quoting by anonymous is trying to say, but in making a bike route map that includes some “salmoning” I’m not counciling people to take that route – I’m pointing to ‘one ways’ that planners and advocates might consider making changes to when expanding and improving bike route infrastructure.

One of the three key foundation stones of this wiki is to help in future planning by bring to the democratic institutions, the way people use the city – instead of an old industrial era top down approach that only considers what people should do.

Michael Holloway

3. 3 jnyyz said at 6:01 pm on March 11th, 2010:

this tool seems pretty good downtown.

I wasn’t aware of it until the Star linked to it this morning, and I see that since this morning, they’ve fixed the pulldown menu at the upper right so that it shows Toronto.

4. 4 michael holloway said at 8:13 pm on March 11th, 2010:

That’s a really good site. I like the drag and drop start/stop icon thingy.

I just asked it to make me a Bloor and Dufferin to Adelaide and Young route:

A very nice route except, with Duncans addition this afternoon my route has TWO parks! :)

I see it takes the bike lanes as much as possible. I don’t like St George, a bad bike route because of the masses of students at certain times of the day – like commute time. Beverley has the tracks and is narrow and parking and the 4 way street car turn at Dundas. I hate it.

It does keep off arterials.

I just looked at it for 5 minutes, can you make your own route and save it?

Michael Holloway

5. 5 duncan said at 8:20 pm on March 11th, 2010:

Michael: The first comment, the one with the quoting, is just telling you that this post has been linked to by another post. These are somewhat useful for discovering who is linking to you, although in this instance it is you linking to your own post. You’ll see more of these when Joe sends out the weekly round ups.

Great explanation though.

6. 6 michael holloway said at 8:24 pm on March 11th, 2010:

Duncan,

Thanks I thought I might have been the route police – wanted to cover my ass and explain the thing at the same time.

mh

7. 7 michael holloway said at 8:25 pm on March 11th, 2010:

jnyyz,

My error, I was thinking McCaul not Beverley – which is a beautiful route.

mh

8. 8 Joe T. said at 11:05 pm on March 11th, 2010:

Duncan explained the first “comment” perfectly.. it’s what’s called a “trackback” – it let’s you know when other blogs (who have a “notify other blogs” option selected) link to a post of yours.

Ride the City is a good site in concept, but not so much in practice. The routes I’ve tried going to and from the east side of the Don Valley provide pretty horrible routes.

The Google option is the best, and I hope they expand coverage soon… Google is great at integrating their services into one another – so a bikelane and route planner in Google Maps will be infinitely more useful than on another site.

9. 9 michael holloway said at 12:48 am on March 12th, 2010:

Hi Joe,

Yeah, on the automatic post there I displayed a little paranoia, but it helped me re-word my raison d etre. I actually thought is was someone who thought my mapping thing was stupid. It is – but I like it.

I haven’t gone to Google yet because it crashes this old computer, soon I’ll have an XP.

Michael