See More Blogs | Login or Register to Start Your Own Blog
Main BikingToronto Page

(Up-dated with Map 2, March 12 2010)

A Biking Toronto member Paul posted two weeks ago, I just saw it today. It’s part of Biking Toronto’s News Group thread, Bike lanes an election winner for Rossi.

I’m not commenting on the thread, just doing what I do here in this Biking Toronto Blog, which is – post Bike Route Maps.

To wit:

Paul T said 1 week, 6 days ago:

I have to strongly disagree with the non-arterial approach. I’ll do it with one example:

Get from the area west of Dufferin bounded by King to Bloor to the downtown core without taking an arterial route for most of it.

Very hard and time consuming. I know people who don’t bike to work because of how scary taking your bike across queen/king/dundas is. Going down to the lake is a huge inconvenience and time waster.

The one exception to the above is Harbord. But that’s only a small section.

There are plenty of examples of this. This is just the one I have personal experience with.

Being against bike lanes on arterial routes is being against bike lanes. Because if bike lanes aren’t connected in a usable network, that is convenient and useful, then they might as well not exist.”

Paul’s right, getting from Dufferin and Bloor into the core is a tricky and dangerous feat.

One of the points of this blog/wiki is to high light for advocates and city planners where the problem areas are. In this case there are safer routes than others. I used to live in the Bloor and Duffrin area, here’s a couple of my favourite routes please add yours too:

Map 1 (with only one wrong way one way)

Map 2

Michael

Posted: March 11th, 2010
Author:
Filed under: Uncategorized
Tags: | 5 Comments »

5 Comments on “Paul said, I need a non-arterial cycling route from Dufferin and Bloor into the Core”

1. 1 duncan said at 3:12 pm on March 11th, 2010:

For Map 1, I’d suggest a simple change. When you enter Argyle from Gladstone you are “salmoning” but only until you reach Dovercourt where the one way changes direction. Take Argyle all the way to Shaw, turn south on Shaw and at the lights turn east on Lobb and head straight into Trinity Bellwoods Park. You have to bounce up a curb, but at least you’re not on Queen. You can exit the park at Gore Vale where you take Queen heading east very briefly and then head south on Niagara which crosses Adelaide and away you go into the core.

2. 2 michael holloway said at 3:40 pm on March 11th, 2010:

I like your augment. “Salmoning”. He-He.

How about Argyle all the way to Shaw then a zig-zag into Bellwoods then you exit the gates, down Strachen to Adelaide.

Saw your tweet your OK I take it?

Michael

3. 3 duncan said at 4:48 pm on March 11th, 2010:

That’s even better, that avoids Queen and the light changes pretty quickly with the pedestrian crossing from the park. Turning left from Gore Vale to Queen is a pain and often blind because of trucks parked on the North side of Queen.

Yeah, I’m fine. It was close, really close but she didn’t hit me. I’ve never seen a kid so wide-eyed and scared as the one who was in the first seat and staring back at me.

4. 4 michael holloway said at 5:29 pm on March 11th, 2010:

Yikes, sounds like the adrenaline is pumping a little still. Being aware at all times pays off – you’re not injured.

A completely different experience than steering your living room couch around eh?

5. 5 jnyyz said at 7:20 pm on March 11th, 2010:

this tool seems pretty good for downtown routes.