Summer Games – task 2

By | May 25, 2010

LGRAB-Summerlong-e1273852817214So I’ve knocked one of the events off the list: recruit a non-rider. Now I’m working on my second entry for the games: leave a friendly note for another cyclist.

I gave this one a LOT of thought. I wanted to say “thanks for riding instead of driving” but not in a condescending way. Here’s what I came up with.

IMG_6208

Hello fellow cyclist! Would you like to do something else that’s fun, rewarding, and good for the environment today? How about planting these sunflower seeds? Just find a bit of dirt, dig a hole using the popsicle stick, and drop in the seeds. Then ride past often to see your flowers grow.

Happy Cycling!

www.BikingToronto.com

Pretty clever, I thought. :) Combining guerrilla gardening with cycling? So I made up these little packets, dropped in a few Velvet Queen Sunflower seeds that I saved from last year, put in a popsicle stick (doubles as a plant marker). Then I headed out to leave them on bikes. Which has proved to be the hardest part.IMG_6209I’ve only managed to leave one out of the 12 I made up so far. I just didn’t see any bikes out when I went looking. Well, I saw two, but one had no place to wedge a packet. :( I guess just a bad time of day. I’m off again this morning to find some more.

I hope I see a whole lot of random sunflowers this summer.

7 Comments

Joe T. on May 25, 2010 at 9:10 am.

What a fantastic idea!!!

Dottie on May 25, 2010 at 8:17 pm.

This is the best note idea ever! Receiving one of these packets would make my day. I love the idea of wild sunflowers growing all along the bike routes of Toronto :) It’s awesome that you put so much thought into this. I need to get going on my challenges!

duncan on May 26, 2010 at 6:31 am.

This is so great!

Todd Tyrtle on May 26, 2010 at 6:35 am.

Awesome idea! As for how to leave them. How about attaching them to a postcard and using it as a spoke card?

cFletch on May 26, 2010 at 12:03 pm.

That’s a great idea Todd – I hadn’t thought of wedging them in the spokes. I wonder if I have any stiff cardstock….. hmmm.

Have got 9 left to go.

geonz on June 2, 2010 at 12:04 pm.

Ductape?

Leave Your Comment

Your email will not be published or shared. Required fields are marked *