Audition Notice – Cyclops Performers & Musician
Clay & Paper Theatre is looking for three cycling-enthusiastic performers and one musician/composer to intern with us as part of Cyclops: Cycling Oriented Puppet Squad.
Wage: $16.50/hour, 35 hours/week
May 2 to October 31, 2011
Highly variable schedule including evenings and weekends, must be available all days and times.
Please do not apply if you have other commitments over the course of the summer and fall i.e., Fringe, Summerworks, another part time job etc.
Summary of Position: Cyclops interns are responsible for developing bicycle-based theatre pieces to perform in public venues and at community, cycling and environmental events, as well as a full-length mobile production based in Dufferin Grove Park. Interns must be cycling enthusiasts, have a strong performance background and an interest in developing skill sets in other creative or administrative areas, such as administration, producing, writing, design, building, costuming, etc. Bicycle and gear will be provided, as well as training in bike maintenance, safety and street performance techniques. Animators, puppeteers, dancers, clowns, buskers, singers and musicians are invited to apply.
Duties for all four include:
- Develop theatre pieces to be performed in public space using the bicycle as a key element in transportation, music, design, set, props, etc.
- Animate community, cycling and environmental events with theatrical performances; busking at various locations throughout downtown Toronto
- Perform at our annual Day of Delight and Night of Dread festivals and as part of our summer production, Human Power: An Epic Tale Of Modernity
- Lead community workshops on bike trailer building, bicycle decoration, bicycle puppets, etc.
- Organize volunteers and group bicycle ride
- Perform other administrative, promotional or production tasks as needed to support the Squad, the project and Clay & Paper Theatre
For Musician: Composition and accompaniment for a wide variety of performances with instrumentation and voice
For Performers: Physical theatre, puppetry, and musical collaboration and performance
- Strong performance background (non-Equity only), with experience in developing original work in a collaborative environment
- Physical ability to cycle regularly and for long distances in city traffic
- Highly motivated and responsible, must be able to work independently
- Outgoing, personable, good sense of humour
- Enthusiastic about urban cycling and environmental issues
- Must enjoy interacting with the public and not be afraid of asking strangers for money
Clay & Paper encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds.
Submit your resume, head shot, and a short statement of why you would like to join Cyclops to email@example.com by Monday March 28, 2011 at 5 PM. Please put CYCLOPS APPLICATION in the subject line. Auditions will take place April 4 – 8 from 9am to 3pm. Short listed applicants will be required to take part in a group audition April 11 – 13. We thank you for your application, but only those selected for an audition will be contacted.
Posted: March 11th, 2011
Filed under: Uncategorized | No Comments »