Murie noted that the woman’s conduct — which included jokes about drunk driving on social media — should also have been taken into account by the judge.
Selinevich’s Facebook profile made several references to impaired driving. One post from 2012 included a picture of a pint glass in a car’s cup holder, while in another post she mocked a police R.I.D.E. poster.
“That kind of behaviour is shocking,” Murie said. “The majority of the population never drinks and drives and the majority of the population are disgusted by people that do.”
7 years (reduced to 4.5, for some reason), is being described as “lengthy” and that’s infuriating. Drunk driving AND killing someone?
Jail for minimum 20 years, and can NEVER drive again. That’s where we should be starting from.
In many cases where a driver is not drunk and doesn’t flee the scene they receive a fine of $1,000 or less for killing someone.
In court, Yulian Liao, Kang’s ex-wife, sobbed quietly as Justice Leslie Pringle described the crash in grisly detail.After leaving Kang dying on the ground, Selinevich raced through a residential neighbourhood, swerved around a police car and ran a red light before pulling into a strip mall and fleeing the scene.
She had previously bragged about drinking and driving on social media.Selinevich did not address the court Wednesday, saying “Yes” quietly whe
The 42 councillors and 1 mayor who did NOT show up for this event should be ashamed of themselves.
The group – Friends & Families for Safe Streets – officially launched Tuesday at City Hall. It is spearheaded by people such as Mr. Stark, all of whom have lost a family member or close friend in a road collision.
With two of Toronto’s 44 councillors in attendance, they held photos of these victims and signs decrying the impact of “road violence” – a term that echoes protests from the early decades of motoring, when fatal collisions sparked outrage against “death drivers.”
“The gravity of the harm calls for actions,” said Yu Li, whose close friend was killed while cycling. “And the term of road violence will have that effect of bringing this to the conscience of everybody, that these are not accidents. These are preventable and these are tragedies with grave consequences.”
A 14-year-old boy has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after he was struck while riding his bicycle north of Yonge and St. Clair Friday morning.
The 14-year-old cyclist was transported to hospital with serious injuries, Brister said.
Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to call 53 Division.
Along with Biking Toronto, I also post news stories about death and injuries on the roads of the Greater Toronto Area (it’s a weird hobby, I admit) that I see pop up in my news feeds over on the Toronto Carnage Blog
Toronto Carnage documents the death and destruction wrought by cars on our city.
It’s not an exhaustive list, but just the news stories we come across.
You can follow Toronto Carnage on twitter too at @torontocarnage
September was another horrific month in the GTA. From the headlines of the stories I saw in September (listed below) – 13 people died at time of press of the articles… but many many headlines list “life-threatening injuries”, so the death toll is likely much much higher.
- FATAL CRASH CLOSES WESTBOUND LANES OF HWY. 401 NEAR HWY. 400
- ONE DEAD, ONE SERIOUSLY HURT AFTER HEAD-ON CRASH NEAR STOCKYARDS
- IMPAIRED DRIVER CHARGED AFTER RUNNING OVER FRIEND IN MEDICAL DISTRESS
- MAN DEAD AFTER TWO-CAR CRASH NEAR ST. CLAIR AND RUNNYMEDE
- STIFFER PENALTIES ON THE WAY FOR DRUG-IMPAIRED DRIVERS
- TWO PEOPLE HOSPITALIZED AFTER FOUR-VEHICLE CRASH IN CASA LOMA NEIGHBOURHOOD – CP24 TORONTO’S BREAKING NEWS
- CAR CRASHES, BURNS AFTER DRIVER CLASHES WITH MOTORCYCLE RIDERS IN WILD ROAD RAGE INCIDENT
PEDESTRIAN SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES IN ST. CLAIR AVENUE COLLISION
- MALE MOTORCYCLIST IN LIFE-THREATENING CONDITION AFTER COLLISION IN REXDALE – CP24 TORONTO’S BREAKING NEWS
JUDGE DISMISSES CASE AGAINST TTC DRIVER WHO RAN OVER TEEN
- FAMILY WHO LOST THREE KIDS, GRANDDAD SUES DRUNK DRIVER FOR $25-MILLION
- DRIVER FLEES SCENE AFTER CRASHING TRUCK INTO HYDRO POLE IN MISSISSAUGA
- HEAD-ON CRASH WITH TTC BUS SENDS WOMAN TO HOSPITAL
- FEMALE PEDESTRIAN SUFFERS HEAD INJURY AFTER BEING HIT BY CAR IN BRAMPTON
- WOMAN IN SERIOUS CONDITION AFTER BEING STRUCK BY VEHICLE NEAR KING AND SPADINA
- TWO PEDESTRIANS TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER COLLISION IN SCARBOROUGH JUNCTION
- ONE DEAD AND ONE SERIOUSLY INJURED AFTER ROLLOVER ON HIGHWAY 401
- MAN DEAD AFTER BEING STRUCK BY TRUCK IN NORTH YORK
- T.O. MOTORCYCLE COP STRUCK BY CAR IN DOWNTOWN CORE – CP24 TORONTO’S BREAKING NEWS
- MAN IN HIS 70S DEAD AFTER TRUCK BACKS OVER HIM IN DOWNSVIEW
- ELDERLY MAN STRUCK AND KILLED BY DRIVER IN NORTH YORK
MOTORCYCLIST’S LIFE IN DANGER AFTER CRASH WITH SUV
- ONE DEAD AFTER SUV SLAMS INTO TRUCK ON HWY. 400
- CYCLIST HIT BY CAR IN OAKVILLE MCDONALD’S DRIVE-THRU
- ELDERLY WOMAN DIES AFTER BEING HIT BY DUMP TRUCK
- WOMAN DRIVES CAR THROUGH HOUSE WINDOW IN ETOBICOKE
- DRIVER FLEES CRASH SCENE AFTER MOTORCYCLE ‘MOB’ RUN IN MISSISSAUGA
- TWO PEDESTRIANS STRUCK BY VEHICLE IN BATHURST MANOR NEIGHBOURHOOD
- MAN CHARGED AFTER CAR CRASHES INTO PICKERING HOME
- HWY. 401 EASTBOUND CLOSED IN OSHAWA AFTER FATAL COLLISION: OPP
- PEDESTRIAN HIT WHILE CROSSING DANFORTH ROAD
- MAN CHARGED WITH IMPAIRED DRIVING AFTER PEDESTRIAN SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES
- MAN, 24, CHARGED WITH IMPAIRED DRIVING AFTER LONG-WEEKEND CRASH KILLS 1
- BRAMPTON CRASH LEAVES MOTORCYCLIST WITH LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES
- ONE DEAD, THREE INJURED AFTER SINGLE-VEHICLE CRASH IN ROSEDALE
- CRASH CLOSES EASTBOUND LANES OF GARDINER EXPRESSWAY AT SPADINA AVENUE
- DRIVER SERIOUSLY INJURED AFTER SINGLE-VEHICLE CRASH IN VAUGHAN – CP24 TORONTO’S BREAKING NEWS
- 1 DEAD, 3 INJURED IN MULTI-VEHICLE CRASH ON HIGHWAY 401 IN MISSISSAUGA
- MAN, 80, KILLED IN SEVEN-CAR CRASH ON 401 IN MISSISSAUGA
- EASTBOUND LANES OF GARDINER EXPRESSWAY REOPEN AFTER CRASH
- MULTI-VEHICLE CRASH CLOSES COLLECTOR LANES ON HIGHWAY 401 NEAR DIXIE FOR HOURS
- PEDESTRIAN SERIOUSLY INJURED AFTER BEING HIT BY A CAR AT QUEEN AND RIVER
- CROSSING GUARD STRUCK, SERIOUSLY INJURED AFTER BEING STRUCK IN BRAMPTON
- 2 INJURED AFTER CAR CRASHES INTO LONG BRANCH LOOP IN TORONTO
- NEVILLE-LAKE TRAGEDY HIGHLIGHTS ‘DISTURBING TREND’ OF IMPAIRED DRIVING IN SUBURBS
- MOTORCYCLIST SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES IN CRASH
- MAN SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES AFTER CAR, MOTORCYCLE COLLIDE DOWNTOWN
- ONE PERSON DEAD FOLLOWING HWY. 401 CRASH IN PICKERING: OPP
- MAN SUFFERS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES IN MARKHAM CRASH
- CYCLIST SUSTAINS CRITICAL INJURIES IN BRAMPTON HIT-AND-RUN