It has long been clear that we need protected bike lanes in order to encourage mass bicycling. But the topic of which term to use is much less clear.
By the time I did my master’s thesis on the relationship between bicycle infrastructure and bicycle transportation, there were numerous studies showing that people wanted protected bike lanes. Empirical evidence showing that people biked more when protected bike lanes were present was also building. But I didn’t find any studies regarding how we should refer to this bicycle infrastructure, what we should call it.
- INFRASTRUCTURE: Toronto Hydro is leading by example
- INFRASTRUCTURE: After waiting a decade, cyclists are taking new bike lanes in style
- INFRASTRUCTURE: The thrills of Toronto’s new Sunnyside Bike Park
- 14 Reasons Why Every Bike Lane Needs To Be A Protected Bike Lane
- OH YEAH! Bike Share Toronto Hackathon & Design Jam