Something that was known, but the official announcement is nice. Long live Bixi (or whatever it’ll be called)!!
The city will take over the Bixi bike sharing program, councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong said at Toronto city hall on Wednesday.
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride,” he told reporters, quoting John F. Kennedy.
“As of spring 2014, Toronto’s bike share program will be owned and operated by the Toronto Parking Authority.”
By the time the takeover is complete, the program will no longer be called Bixi. A new name has not been decided. Minnan-Wong said the TPA is looking for a “generous” sponsor who would receive naming rights.
Recent NEWS Posts:
- EVENT: Tues, Aug. 12 – Tune-Up Tuesday at College/Shaw Library
- ELSEWHERE: Brooklyn Whole Foods to deliver by cargo bike
- INFRASTRUCTURE: Richmond and Adelaide being prepped for new bikelanes
- NEWS: Canada Post “apologizes” after telling cyclist to “go f-k yourself”, and it’s not nearly enough
- NEWS: Canada Post driver parks in bikelane, tells cyclist recording it to “go f–k yourself!”