The “new” Toronto BikePlan has been revealed (PDF link) and it is what is expected.
There is a good write-up about it on the CBC website, but here are the highlights (and lowlights):
- Downtown Focus
- Physically Separate Bikelanes on Bloor between Sherbourne & Broadview (2011)
- Possible Physically Separate Bikelanes on Sherbourne & Wellesley (2012)
- Studying feasibility of Physically Separate Bikelanes on Richmond or Adelaide Streets and in the north-south corridor from Peter Street to Simcoe Street.
- Removal of bikelanes on Pharmacy and Birchmount
- Halting of the Bloor-Danforth Bikeway Environmental Assessment (to devote funds for this to the above projects)
Physically Separate lanes are good, especially downtown, and especially with Bixi all over the place in the core… but removing bikelanes and halting work on EAs? Not so good.
What do you think of the new BikePlan?
[top photo of separated bikelanes and Bixi in Montreal by Bikeroo]