City Council put some conditions on the approval though… Bixi has to garner at least 1000 annual subscriptions and round up $600,000 in sponsorship money by Nov. 30 of this year.
Bixi will be launching a Toronto website in late July at toronto.bixi.com (this link will re-direct to the main Bixi site until then) but in the meantime have released some FAQs (PDF) for people interested in the system:
BIXI Toronto Q&A
1. Why should I pledge for BIXI Toronto now? Why not wait?
• In order to launch BIXI Toronto, City council has placed a requirement that 1000 pledges be generated by November 30th 2010.
2. What other milestones must be reached to ensure this program?
• In addition to 1000 pledges, 80 docking station locations must be secured; As well, $600,000 in
3. If I pledge now, will I receive a refund if these milestones are not met?
• Yes. Your money will be returned.
4. When will BIXI Toronto be launched if these milestones are met?
• BIXI Toronto is scheduled to start May 2011.
5. How much money does it cost?
• For a year round membership it is $95.00. (This is less than a monthly TTC Metropass)
6. Is BIXI a seasonal program?
• Unlike other cities, BIXI Toronto will be run year round. (In Montréal it is a seasonal program fromMay to November, hence their fees are slightly less).
7. Who can use BIXI?
• You have to be at least 14 years of age and measure at least 1.24 metres (4’1″) in height to use BIXI. BIXI users who are minors must be subscribed by their legal guardians and remain under their responsibility.
8. How do I access the bicycles once I have pledged?
• A BIXI-key will be provided to you. This key will give you 24 hr access to any BIXI bike across the city.
9. Can I lend my BIXI-key to someone else?
• No. Your BIXI-key is yours and yours alone and is not transferable.
10. How can I pay for BIXI?
• Payment can be made with VISA or MasterCard. For those who do not have a credit card, a holder of a credit card can pay for your subscription to the service, whether they subscribe to it or not. This person must fill out the subscription form and click on the Add a co-subscriber button and enter the pertinent information. Subscription and usage fees will be charged to their credit card.
11. What kind of benefits do I receive for signing-up early?
• People who pledge before the launch of BIXI will receive perks packages. They will also be
recognized on the website.
12. Where can I sign-up?
• Online at http://toronto.bixi.com (this website will not be live until the launch date of July 28th, 2010).
For more information on the way BIXI works, please check out: http://montreal.bixi.com/f-a-q
Recent NEWS Posts:
- EVENT: Tues, Aug. 12 – Tune-Up Tuesday at College/Shaw Library
- ELSEWHERE: Brooklyn Whole Foods to deliver by cargo bike
- INFRASTRUCTURE: Richmond and Adelaide being prepped for new bikelanes
- NEWS: Canada Post “apologizes” after telling cyclist to “go f-k yourself”, and it’s not nearly enough
- NEWS: Canada Post driver parks in bikelane, tells cyclist recording it to “go f–k yourself!”