Happy Friday! BikingToronto is growing fast… so here’s all the cool stuff that’s been going on this week!
(if you don’t already get this in your email, but would like to – you can sign up here)
In The News:
- The Share The Road Coalition says Ontario needs to inject at least $20 million into cycling infrastructure to catch up to other provinces and states.
- The Toronto Cyclists Union has won the 2010 Innovation of the Year Award from the Alliance for Biking and Walking (formerly Thunderhead Alliance) for their new immigrant outreach program they co-ordinated with CultureLink.
- Google launches a “biking” feature on their Google Maps service, showing bikelanes and trails. It’s only in the U.S. so far. Hopefully the city can give mapping data to Google to expand it to Toronto.
- Mayoral Candidate George Smitherman (generally assumed to be the frontrunner for the mayor’s job) says he’d “pause” bikelane network implementation.
- The brand new Simcoe Street Bikelanes are unusable, because cabs are using it as a taxi stand.
New on the Main Blog:
New on Duncan’s City Ride:
- “If I ride…” People for Bikes.org asks; Why Do You Ride?
- Lower Simcoe Taxi Stand… Wait, That’s A Bike Lane!
- Cruisers, Cargo bikes, Handmades and More – The Toronto International Bicycle Show
- Biomega Commercial By Cycle Chic’s Mikael Colville-Andersen
- Things You Can Do By Bike – Go To IKEA!
New on Joe Bikes:
- My Cyclist Count for Thursday March 11, 2010
- My Cyclist Count for Wednesday March 10, 2010
- Looking Forward to the Commute
New on Fletcher Five (NEW!):
- Is that Karma?
- Repairs and Modifications
- That did not go as planned.
- Highlights from the Bike Show: Pt1
- Day One: 800m
New on Michael Holloway’s Blog (NEW!):
- “Ride the City” Mapper Looks Useful, Easy to use
- Paul said, I need a non-arterial cycling route from Dufferin and Bloor into the Core
- Toronto: Dufferin and Bloor to the Core
- Toronto Bicycle Route Mapping Wiki Project
- RSS Feeds – Stay up to date with the Wiki & this Blog
New on The Hub (Public Members Blog):
New on the Photo of the Day:
- Around A Cab
- Walk, Bike, Drive, TTC
- Holt Renfrew Bike Race
- Wave Deck Tail Whip
- Bay Bus Terminal
New/Hot on the Forums:
- Anger as cars clog new Simcoe St. bike lane
- Choosing bike components
- So, this is a cycling city?
- Fixer: When is a bike lane not a bike lane?
- Smitherman would pause Toronto’s bike plan
- Trinity Bellwoods Multi-Use Path Plans
- The Action Hazards of Harbord Street
- GoogleMaps likes Bikes!
- Bike lanes an election winner for Rossi
- PST exemption for new gear
- T.O. cyclists ride away U.S. award
- Bike Union getting U.S. Award!
- Millions sought for Ontario cycling
- Bike locks
- Bicycle thief Kenk’s assault charges stayed
- Bryant-cyclist case put over to March 5
- fun/pretty rides in and around Toronto
- holycr@p, they let him out!
- Folks, a rusty steed is a friend indeed – even in winter
- Can this bike lane get more fans than Rocco Rossi?!!
- Ward 29 Bikes 2009 Year (and a bit!) in review
Want to get the Weekly News Wrap-Up in your email every friday? Easy-Peasy, Lemon Squeezy. Is that how you spell “Squeezy”?
RECENT NEWS POSTS:
- OH YEAH: BikingToronto has 6000 posts. So what?
- INFRASTRUCTURE: Toronto is moving some Ring-and-Posts, and letting people know
- INFRASTRUCTURE: 15 photos of the stunning new BMX park in Toronto
- NEWS: Foot path at Dufferin Grove Park honours cyclist Jenna Morrison
- NEWS: Cycle Toronto’s Ward 15 Group Launches