The Toronto Cyclists Union has released their first Annual Report!
Highlights from the past year:
– Hired an Executive Director to work full time for cycling issues
– Partnered with the City to offer a standing-room only, exceptionally well received 1st annual Toronto Bike Awards
– Partnered with the Transportation department on the West End Bikeways strategy that engaged local citizens to propose cycling improvements to a portion of the city that was overlooked in the bike plan — set for implementation in 2009–10
– Worked with local groups and City Councillors to ensure implementation of the bike plan and specific wins on Annette Street and the first steps on Jarvis Street
– Developed a Valet Bike Parking service for events
– Established ourselves as the positive and authoritative voice for cyclists in local media, with over 100 media hits to date
– Begun to catalyze ward based cycling advocacy teams to work with their City Councillors to raise the profile of cycling, and the local needs of cyclists
– Received over $40,000 in grant money from the Toronto Community Foundation and LiveGreen Toronto to develop printed materials to encourage cycling for Toronto newcomers in partnership with Culturelink
Great job Bike Union!