See More Blogs | Login or Register to Start Your Own Blog
Main BikingToronto Page

My Bike Commute

I managed to borrow a small camera from my friend so I decided to mount it on my helmet during my morning commute down to work. The quality of it wasn’t too bad so I decided to share it online via youtube. Now the bike videos I normally see on youtube are of crazy bike antics like bike messenger races or insane stunts but this video is different since it isn’t about speed or tricks, it’s just a guy leisurely riding in Toronto. Hopefully, it will show people that riding a bike in the city isn’t as dangerous as people have claimed it to be.

Posted: May 27th, 2010
Author:
Filed under: Uncategorized
Tags: , , | 9 Comments »

9 Comments on “My Bike Commute”

1. 1 dave said at 8:23 am on May 28th, 2010:

I wish I had a camera to show every time a driver, deliberately or carelessly put me in great danger.

This video above is nice and all, but biking in Toronto IS, in many cases, quite dangerous.

2. 2 jamesschwartz said at 9:52 am on May 28th, 2010:

I don’t think biking in Toronto is dangerous per say – this is based on statistics and my experiences of more than 7 years of riding in the city.

But it is annoying when cars pass closely. I think a lot of drivers don’t realize they are putting us in danger by passing so closely. People are very ignorant here because most people don’t ride bikes – so they can’t relate to us.

I just returned from a trip to China and I cycled for more than 6 days, and more than 6 hours a day and I never had a single car pass me as close as some drivers do in Toronto.

Drivers there are accepting of the different types of road users, but it was also helped by the comprehensive infrastructure that separates motor vehicle traffic from bicycles in many cases. But even on the roads where cars have to share with cyclists, drivers were much more cautious and passed slowly. It was extremely comfortable compared to here.

But comfortable or not, it’s still pretty safe to cycle in Toronto if you are cautious and don’t ride too fast.

3. 3 Ian said at 10:38 am on May 28th, 2010:

I agree that riding in the city is safer than it appears.

Cyclists have almost perfect visibility (both in terms of nothing to block our sight and being higher than cars), our hearing is unimpeded, we have better maneuverability and excellent stopping power.

So long as we ride defensively, be consistent with the rules, speed and direction there is very little chance of a dangerous encounter.

I see some cyclists who pass right turning cars on the right, ride so slowly they wobble, turn indecisively or without signaling and then complain about how dangerous it is ride in the city!

4. 4 Joe T. said at 11:20 am on May 28th, 2010:

Riding is extremely safe.. despite misconceptions.

I’ll challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to do a little experiment.

The next time you ride along a busy road, count the number of cars who pass too closely, but ALSO count the number of drivers who make a conscious effort to move over to give you room and/or slow down.

I’ve done it on numerous occasions, and the ratio is always around 20 good for every 1 bad.

5. 5 Joe T. said at 11:21 am on May 28th, 2010:

ps. GREAT video Bikeroo.

You go right by my work. :)

6. 6 Todd Tyrtle said at 12:12 pm on May 28th, 2010:

Great video – and I’ll add my voice to the list. It’s extremely safe in my experience. Most drivers are courteous, a few are ignorant, and only a tiny fraction are outright hostile. And maybe it’s just me but it seems to be getting better by the year. On the other hand, I could be getting more confident and aware and so “fit in” a little better.

Being alive is a dangerous thing. Being alive and going out in the world even more so. And it doesn’t matter how you travel – seems to be worse to be a pedestrian than a cyclist. It also appears to be bad news to be a highway commuter as well.

The biggest issue, I think, is the consequences of you or the driver making a mistake. What would be a fender bender between two cars could be far worse if one vehicle is a bike. Thus we all have to ride carefully and drive carefully. Infrastructure can help engineer some of the danger out, as can enforcement and education.

And, of course, just as drivers doing stupid and/or illegal things can be dangerous to us, so too can our *own* stupidity. I am the last one to promote the “scofflaw cyclist” stereotype (it bugs me to no end) but I will promote the “scofflaw human” one and that demographic, no matter how it travels can be pretty dangerous to itself and others. So please obey the traffic laws and take the earbuds out of your ears, I don’t want to become another statistic, I don’t want you to either, and furthermore the more statistics (and anecdotes) that come from cyclists bringing on their own demise the more folks will be likely to condemn cycling as too dangerous for them.

7. 7 7katz said at 4:25 am on May 29th, 2010:

I feel pretty safe cycling in Toronto, though there are streets that I consciously avoid and
    times like rush hour when it is a mite scary how fast and how close cars pass me.

I think there are far more bad cyclists than bad drivers. Hardly any cyclists signal, many seem unsure of where to be in the bike lane (ie riding down the middle or to the left), swing out into traffic suddenly without shoulder-checking, wear black at night, etc, etc. I’m sure we’ve all seen them. I am continually amazed there aren’t more cyclists that get hit.

That being said, yes there are drivers who are completely oblivious to cyclists or irritated we are even sharing the road. One must ride defensively and be aware at all times — much like driving a car.

8. 8 Eu Vou de Bike » Um passeio pelas ruas de Toronto said at 1:40 pm on June 1st, 2010:

[...] vĂ­deo abaixo, um ciclista canadense gravou um percurso por ruas movimentadas de Toronto, com pouco uso da faixas especiais para ciclistas ou [...]

9. 9 Weekly Wrap-Up: BikeMonth 2010, Week 1! | Biking Toronto said at 8:51 am on June 4th, 2010:

[...] My Bike Commute (Bikeroo in TO) [...]